If you’re looking for cheap web hosting with not a lot of bells and whistles, then this Media Temple review will probably not be for you. Media Temple is a highly professional company that know just what businesses need out of their web hosting. In this web hosting review of the Media Temple service, we will discuss the very best features that Media Temple offers, so that you can make the right choice for your business’ website. We talk about their pricing, security and risk, usability and user-friendliness, customer support, pros, cons, and more.
Media Temple Service Overview
Media Temple is the right provider for those who want a lot of options and scalability in their web hosting service. Designers and agencies of all types, but especially website and WordPress designers, will be quite impressed with the features that they offer. If you were wondering who a few of their clients are, you will be happy to hear that brands like AIGA, jQuery, Samsung, and Obey trust this web hosting service to host their company websites.
Media Temple has a very sophisticated selection of plans. Whatever your needs, Media Temple has what you’re looking for. Their cheaper hosting starts at $20/month. Their AWS cloud servers can be built to your exact specifications and are managed by Media Temple.
In the table below, we provide the exact pricing for all of the web hosting services they offer, from Shared Hosting to WordPress Hosting, VPS Hosting, Managed Hosting, and AWS Cloud Hosting.
|Shared Hosting – Personal
|Shared Hosting – Pro
|Shared Hosting – Elite
|Managed WordPress Hosting -Personal
|250,000 monthly visitors
|Managed WordPress Hosting – Pro
|500,000 monthly visitors
|Self-managed VPS Hosting
|Managed VPS Hosting
|Intermediate or Advanced users
|Fully-managed VPS Hosting
|People who want the full package
|AWS Cloud Hosting
|$499 and up
As you can see, most packages they offer have a specific set of characteristics and pricing. However, for the AWS Cloud Hosting service, you will have to get in touch with them to learn more about it, since it is a customer service. You can do that at the bottom of their AWS Cloud Hosting page, by filling in the contact form.
Security & Risk
Media Temple has standard firewall security, spam filtering, and virus protection. If you want better protection, you’ll want to take a look at Media Temple’s security packs. Each pack covers 5 sites and gets you malware scans, site vulnerability scans, and blacklist scans, as well as automated malware removal and instant alerts. The price for this standard protection is $49/month. If you want a global CDN and a web application firewall, then you’ll be paying $100 more each month. SSL certificates are separate and cost $75/year per site.
Usability & User Friendliness
Media Temple has their own control panel that allows you to get to the back end of your hosting. They call it the Grid Account Center and offer it as an option to their shared hosting accounts. Those with managed hosting can have either cPanel or Plesk, based on what they need and their own preference, while their AWS hosting allows you to pick and choose exactly what you want based on your needs.
Another important factor to keep in mind when considering usability and user friendliness is how easy the website is to explore. This Media Temple review wouldn’t be complete if we weren’t to mention how clear and easy to understand their website is. Each one of their services has a different page filled with all the information you might need before making a decision. Plus, on their Help Center page, their offer a variety of ways to get in touch.
Customer Support & Additional Info
If you are new to this customizable type of hosting options, don’t worry. Media Temple has highly-trained customer service representatives that will walk you through the entire process and help you get your site up and running fast with exactly what you need. They also have certified technical support staff to help you out if there’s a problem down the road. This company has some of the best 24/7/365 customer service available. We continue our Media Temple review with some information that will help you get in touch with them:
- Website: mediatemple.net
- U.S Toll-Free: +1.877.578.4000
- Email: Form
- Media Temple Community: mediatemple.net/community
- Social Media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Media Temple Service Overall Rating
This provider has a great overall rating and is incredibly impressive. Here’s what we feel stands out the most in our Media Temple review.
What we like:
- Excellent Speed – Their average page load times are around 430ms for the average size page, which is super fast. All of their hosting has SSD drives, which are much faster, and you know exactly what you’re getting as far as RAM and processing power when you have your own server or cloud servers.
- Affordable Server Options – If you’re growing quickly, you probably found that having your own dedicated server costs tons of money. Media Temple has the best in between options with VPS and cloud hosting that give you the resources and power that are close to having your own server, without the cost.
- Google Apps for Work – One of the best email providers out there is Google, and they have a version for work and businesses that tie in with your domain emails. Media Temple is the first host that includes this service with some of their mid-level and agency accounts.
What we don’t like:
- Malware/DDoS protection not standard – Some of the agency and mid-level plans offer this as part of the package, but for everyone else, they have to purchase this extra security feature separately.
- Expensive SSL – A lot of hosts now offer SSL certificates for free. Media Temple might offer one or two depending on the level of service, but they’re quite expensive per year per site.
Web Hosting Package: 5/5
Security and Risk: 5/5
Usability & User Friendliness: 5/5
Customer Support: 5/5
Media Temple Top Alternatives
Still not convinced? Here are some alternatives if you need a few more choices to think about:
- ServerMania – ServerMania also offers great scalability and customization options for all of their accounts, and an incredible amount of security at no extra cost.
- Bluehost – Known mostly for their cheap hosting, Bluehost has reseller accounts, dedicated servers, cloud hosting, and VPS as well. Their prices are slightly lower, but you won’t get the great customization and scalability that you get with Media Temple.
- KnownHost – KnownHost have some of the best uptime in industry, though the load times are much slower than Media Temple’s. They charge for using cPanel or DirectAdmin, but they do offer 2 dedicated IP addresses and private nameservers.
Media Temple Review Verdict
If you’re into customization and scalability without a lot of hassle, then Media Temple is definitely for you. Their site has tons of options for you to consider. What is more, their live chat customer service is always available at the bottom right of the page. We hope this Media Temple review has helped you decide if you want to give this service a try or not. What do you think of this web hosting service? Have you ever tried it? Leave us your own Media Temple review down below!