If you are looking for a budget-friendly host for a start-up website, Internap may not be your best option. They have a few options that could fit within a limited budget but their strengths lie in the robust dedicated and bare-metal servers that they provide. If you are looking to customize a server that will fit your needs like a glove then Internap is a great place to start your search. In this Internap review, we will provide detailed information regarding their hosting services and their customer service. We shall also provide recommendations that are useful to your decision.
Internap was founded in 1996 and had continued to grow in strength and size all over the world. They provide an internet infrastructure that provides colocation services to large businesses and enterprises.
They offer shared and private cloud servers, bare-metal servers, and managed dedicated servers to all their clients. Their major strength is the customization they provide. They only have a few plans on their website that do not require a quote request to set up.
They have a 100% uptime guarantee and claim to have less than a 45ms page load speed. Their servers are also PCI/ DDS compliant.
Internap also charges by the hour instead of by the month like other hosting companies. This means you do not pay when your website goes down. The monthly prices listed here are based on their hourly rates at 100% uptime.
They have a few budget-friendly options for their shared cloud hosting, named AgileCLOUD, which starts at $7.12/month. The price quickly multiplies based on the amount of memory and bandwidth needed.
Internap focuses mostly on their more expensive Bare-Metal and Managed Servers. Bare-Metal servers start at $129.00/month and go up from there. Managed servers, as well as private cloud servers, are available by request, though you must submit a quote to get a price based on your needs.
|Dedicated to||Price||Disk Space||Bandwidth||Websites||
|Small Websites/Blogs||$7.12/mo and up||20GB SSD||1TB||Unlimited||Linux or Windows|
|Bare Metal AgileSERVER||Agencies/High-Traffic Sites||$129.00/mo and up||8-64GB HDD/SSD||Unlimited||Unlimited||
Security & Risk
Internap provides excellent security for all their clients. They have a managed network firewall and internal vulnerability scanning. VPN services and SSL certificates are also offered. Their software regularly scans for viruses as well, so they fight against attacks before they start.
Another firewall level is added at the web application level. If you are using WordPress, this protects the website of any hacks that happen so your website can stay safe. External and internal PCI vulnerability scanning is provided as well, and patch management services are available.
Usability & User Friendliness
Every customer has the option of a Linux or Windows server and all dedicated and private servers can select their own operating system and administration control panel. Internap is strong in eCommerce features and their servers can be used for video game servers for nearly any type of game.
They don’t specify any specific features that most hosting companies promote like one-click applications or a drag-and-drop website builder. However, their ability to customize their services to fit your needs makes up for this.
Customer Support & Additional Info
Their customer service is available 24 hours a day, 8 days a week by phone, email, and live chat. Internap has mixed reviews online. Most of them are good. The major complaints about Internap’s customer support include tickets that were rarely answered and even less likely to be resolved and an early termination fee that is costly.
Good customer reviews are mostly vague but some include that the customer service walked them through all the setup information and taught them how to use their hosting account. More helpful reviews boast a promising 100% uptime and amazingly fast page load speeds.
Internap Overall Rating
We have delivered the facts, now see what we like and don’t like about Internap’s web hosting services.
What we like:
- 100% Uptime Guarantee – This is an incredible guarantee, which is offered by very few web hosting companies currently.
- Incredibly Fast Page Load Speeds – Speed is something just as important as uptime. The faster the page, the less likely a visitor will leave your site in frustration.
- Completely Customizable and Scalable – Internap is able to build whatever you need for your website project.
What we don’t like:
- Hefty Early Termination Fee – Hidden well within their MSA, the termination fee is equal to the remaining amount of the term agreed upon that has not yet been paid.
- No Money Back Guarantee – Most hosting companies offer some length of time where they can use the services risk-free and request a refund if they are not happy with it. Internap does not.
Web Hosting Plans & Prices: 4/5
Security & Risk: 5/5
Customer Support: 1/5
Internap Top Alternatives
Not ready to decide on Internap? Check out these major competitors to see if there is a better fit for your website.
- Bluehost – One of the leading companies in affordable web hosting,
they provide shared hosting, WordPress hosting, VPS, and dedicated servers. Their prices come in below Internap though their uptime is less than perfect.
- TMDHosting – Super-fast web hosting services with a great uptime guarantee of 99.99%. TMDHosting has great security and user-friendly features. They even offer a free domain for as long as you use their hosting services.
- LiquidWeb – LiquidWeb is a web hosting company that focuses on high-end VPS, Dedicated servers, Cloud and WordPress-optimized hosting. They do not have budget-friendly shared hosting option, but they have an excellent track record in security and customer service.
When you are ready to create an online project that requires hosting, you want to get your website up fast. Internap can do that. If you are confident in your skills as a webmaster, then Internap may be just what you’re looking for. Their services are not for those who are just starting out. However, we can not recommend Internap because of their horrible customer service reputation.
Have questions about this Internap review? Let us know in the comments below!
Leave a Reply